Director of FP&A
San Francisco, California • Operations • Full-time • salaryApply for this job
Starcity is a lifestyle brand which provides beautifully designed co-living communities in major cities, and we're on track to welcome thousands (and one day millions) of customers to our communities over the coming years. We have awesome backers including Y Combinator, Bullpen Capital, NEA, Social Capital, Index Ventures and have been featured in notable publications like WSJ, The New York Times, The LA Times, Business Insider and many more.
We're always on the look out for people with huge amounts of integrity and empathy that empower to succeed so we can build a strong community together.
This is a critical role on the Finance & Accounting team that will help bring our strategic vision into a quantifiable reality. You'll be reporting directly to the COO and collaborating with the CEO and CPO. Your goal is to create a sound corporate budget and frequently report on our performance to internal and external partners. You'll provide clear recommendations on how to increase the impact we can have while acting as a steward of capital. To accomplish this, you'll work closely with our development and accounting teams to keep a pulse on the financials of the company and its underlying assets, and find ways to improve our processes.
Objectives & Outcomes:
- Creating and maintaining an operating budget that acts as our source of truth
- Determining appropriate process, methodology, variables and modeling techniques to develop and deliver near-term and long-term forecasts
- Build ad hoc models in Excel/Google Sheets that allow for strategic scenario planning
- Monitoring financial KPIs and sharing easily digestible visualizations for tracking performance
- Assessing and notifying relevant parties of anticipated performance risks and relevant market changes
- Creation of internal & external executive reporting documents including board and other management presentations
- Teaming up with the Controller to provide monthly updates and recommendations to senior leadership
- Serving on the investment committee to discuss capital allocation requests for new projects
- Partnering with our Engineering and R&D teams to refine systems and tools to track performance and enhance operational insights
- Other special projects as requested
- 5+ years of asset management or real estate development experience
- Strong understanding of GAAP
- Mastery of Excel and G Suite
- Unquestionably amazing presentation skills
- Data modeling and visualization expertise using Tableau, Looker, or whatever other tool can get the job done well
- Bachelor degree or higher in a related field
- Basic knowledge of corporate structures related to real estate and private equity
- Highly communicative and collaborative with ability to follow direction
- Reliability and focus, with demonstrated ability to consistently meet goals and deadlines
- Driven by principles of stewardship and discretion
- Thrives under pressure
- Willingness to try things you’ve never done before and learn from mistakes
- CFA and/or MBA
- SQL proficiency
The position is a full-time, salaried role with medical, dental, vision and retirement benefits.
The position is based at our HQ in San Francisco and may travel to our Los Angeles satellite office.
Starcity is an equal opportunity housing provider and employer, and acts in these capacities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.Apply for this job