Cost Engineer and Estimator
San Francisco, California • R&D • Full-time • salaryApply for this job
Starcity builds and operates beautifully designed co-living communities in major cities, and we're on track to welcome thousands (and one day millions) of customers to our communities over the coming years. We have awesome backers including Y Combinator, Bullpen Capital, NEA, Social Capital, Index Ventures and have been featured in notable publications like The Wall Street Journal, The New York Times, Business Insider, San Francisco Chronicle, Silicon Valley Magazine, TechCrunch and many more.
Our mission is to make great cities accessible to everyone. We do that by creating community homes—a unique new affordable way to live in cities. We’re a tech-enabled company that places a high value on experimentation and excellent craftsmanship.
As Starcity’s first Cost Engineer and Estimator, you will lead an important initiative to establish an accurate and continuous understanding of the costs of Starcity’s construction projects, prefabricated architectural products, and manufacturing initiatives.
In this technical position reporting directly to Starcity’s Director of Research and Development, you will possess significant autonomy over Starcity’s cost engineering initiatives.
This is a critical role in augmenting Starcity’s ongoing practice of data-driven decision making, and entails the construction and ongoing refinement of cost-estimation models and techniques based on company and industry data. As the first Cost Engineer and Estimator, you are uniquely positioned to make a critical impact on a key portion of our operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead Starcity’s research and development of cost models for construction and prefabricated housing components
- Develop cost estimates for the entire spectrum of project phases (Order of Magnitude, feasibility, budget, construction)
- Translate 3D building information models into material and labor cost estimates using model-based takeoffs and flow-line schedules
- Perform overall process analyses and identify dependencies in phases of construction
- Implement and manage a suite of cutting edge construction cost estimation, tracking, and control tools
- Track construction costs at a granular cost-code level across a portfolio of projects
- Communicate complex construction and procurement cost models to team members
- Analyze existing estimates and identify potential issuesIdentify and evaluate cost-reduction methods
- Engage with both internal and external partners on a regular basis
EDUCATION, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture, engineering, industrial engineering, construction management, or a related field
- Strong quantitative skills, particularly statistics
- 4+ years experience in construction estimating for residential high rise projects
- Understanding of high-rise construction materials and methods
- Experience with model-based material takeoffs
- Demonstrated excellent communication and organization skills
- A desire to fix the construction industry
- Master’s in architecture, engineering, or a related field
- Experience with flow line scheduling and location-based construction management
- Experience with modular or prefab construction cost estimation
- Experience with statistical methods
- Leadership experienceProject management experience
- Understanding of construction industry economic macro-dynamics