Interior Design Intern (Summer + Fall)
San Francisco, California • Development (Design & Construction) • Part-time • hourlyApply for this job
Starcity provides beautifully designed co-living communities in major cities, and we're on track to welcome thousands (and one day millions) of customers to our communities over the coming years. We have awesome backers including Y Combinator, Bullpen Capital, NEA, Social Capital, Index Ventures and have been featured in notable publications like the New York Times, Business Insider, San Francisco Chronicle, Silicon Valley Magazine, TechCrunch and many more.
We are seeking an Interior Designer Intern to work closely with our Interior Design Manager, Maria Del Campo. You will support her on working on several new projects (usually 4-6 projects at a time) on design, test fits, procurement and aiding development.
This role will pay an hourly rate of $25 an hour and we are looking that someone can consistently work onsite 2-4 days a week from now through end of November. There is a chance that this role could turn permanent or extend if this works for both parties.
Why should you want this role with Starcity? This is a great opportunity to learn the whole real estate development processes from start to finish and see projects come to life. You will also be part of the building this new “co-living” housing category that makes housing more accessible all while delivering uncompromising design.
When applying, please upload a link to your portfolio (even if just school related projects).
RESPONSIBILITIES (it's ok if you haven't done this before)
- Organize project samples, project filing binders, and finish binders in an orderly manner
- Organize and maintain the sample room (design library)
- Setup vendor presentations
- Maintain up-to-date project file (binder) for existing and new projects/properties
- Follow up on Existing Orders/ETAs
- Order any replacement orders for each property from start to finish
- Know CAD standards and apply them, block up elevations from drawings with accuracy, draw and tag finished plans and elevations, and able to produce furniture layouts and floor plans skillfully
- Scan images and format for specs, interpret what is needed for the ‘look’ and select appropriate FF&E items, draw simple custom furniture drawings and details, contact vendors, order samples, collect and document pricing and lead times and research sourcing
- Communicate with Project Manager(s) regularly, alerting them of possible problems or conflicts with project specs, drawings, vendor delays, etc.
- Offer unsolicited feedback on how to improve systems and procedures when opportunities arise
FF&E Specification Requirements
- 0-1 years experience in interior design. You can be completing their undergrad degree in interior design or another relevant degree.
- Must be able to work 2-4 days a week from now through end of November. Can adjust schedule in Fall if in school.
- Strong hand-sketching skills
- Ability to sketch something quickly in order to show ideas and concepts
- Knowledge of Photoshop. Specifically, how to scan and crop images, manipulate, eliminate adjacent images, remove writing, etc.
- Ability to input sketches into CAD, block up elevations, manipulate floor plans, dimensions, create schedules, tag finishes from redline set, and set title blocks