Facilities Manager (Los Angeles)
Los Angeles, California • Community • Full-time • salaryApply for this job
Starcity is a lifestyle brand which provides beautifully designed co-living communities in major cities, and we're on track to welcome thousands (and one day millions) of customers to our communities over the coming years. We have awesome backers including Y Combinator, and Bullpen Capital and have been featured in notable publications like The New York Times, Business Insider, San Francisco Chronicle, Silicon Valley Magazine, TechCrunch and many more.
Our mission is to make great cities accessible to everyone. We do that by building beautifully designed coliving homes —a unique new affordable where you can live with great people in the city you love. We’re a tech-enabled company that places a high value on experimentation and excellent craftsmanship.
This is an important role on the Community Operations team, reporting directly to the Community Director of Operations. You will lead facility management and special building improvement project initiatives, focused primarily on maintaining the general interior and exterior condition of Starcity’s properties. You will coordinate mechanical, electrical, and plumbing system maintenance, supervise major and perform minor repairs.
As Starcity’s communities evolve, we foresee the need to self perform what we’re calling special projects, spanning a range of tenant improvement projects. You will work with our project managers, architects, contractors and service providers to execute these special projects in a manner that will minimize disruption to the Starcity community.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide facility management and logistics support to maintain and enhance Starcity’s community spaces (kitchens, lounges, recreational areas) and private rooms
- Manage a small multi-trade Starcity maintenance team along with subcontractors and service providers and coordinate and supervise their work across multiple Starcity properties
- Effectively communicate with Starcity’s Development and Community teams as well as with Starcity Residents (“Community Members”)
- Respond to members in a timely manner about any facility related items and oversee process to fulfill these requests/concerns
- Produce weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reports, schedules, and budgets for the maintenance of Starcity communities
- Track Starcity assets, maintenance, repair, and warranty work
- Possess the ability to self perform minor repairs and train others in process to ensure quality work is being performed safely
- Oversee scheduling and daily tasks/checklists for facilities team and ensure the quality of their work is up to standard, including work done in rooms after member move outs
- Coach and mentor facilities team as needed
- Recruit, interview and train new facilities team members
- Manage the facilities team’s weekly & daily work schedule
Education, Skills, & Experience
- Detailed understanding of and experience (3-5 years minimum) managing building systems to include mechanical, electrical, plumbing, security, and IT
- Possess depth of knowledge of additional building trades to include: Rough and Finish carpentry, cabinetry, drywall patching and painting, furniture assembly/disassembly, weatherproofing, roofing and exterior maintenance
- Demonstrated understanding of both residential and commercial space
- High level of integrity, ownership, and craftsmanship
- “Resident-first” customer service
- Excellent organizational, time management, and written and verbal communication
- Passionate, self-starting, intelligent, dedicated, efficient
- Enjoys both taking responsibility and team collaboration
- Grace under pressure
- Working knowledge of California Building Code
- Spanish speaking highly preferred
- Valid CA Driver’s License required
For consideration, please submit a resume that reflects your facilities management experience specifically.
The position is a full-time, salaried role with medical, dental and vision benefits. We hope to have the right candidate join us as early as October 2018.
The position is based at our HQ in Venice Beach but you will be expected to travel to different project sites in the city and greater Los Angeles area on a day-to-day basis.
Starcity is an equal opportunity housing provider and employer, and acts in these capacities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.Apply for this job