Principal Software Engineer
San Francisco, California • Engineering • Full-time • salaryApply for this job
Starcity is a lifestyle brand which provides beautifully designed co-living communities in major cities, and we're on track to welcome thousands (and one day millions) of customers to our communities over the coming years. We have awesome backers including Y Combinator, and Bullpen Capital and have been featured in notable publications like The New York Times, Business Insider, San Francisco Chronicle, Silicon Valley Magazine, TechCrunch and many more.
Our mission is to make great cities accessible to everyone. We do that by building beautifully designed coliving homes —a unique new affordable where you can live with great people in the city you love. We’re a tech-enabled company that places a high value on experimentation and excellent craftsmanship.
As a lead software engineer you will report directly to the CTO and be considered an essential member of engineering leadership. You should be comfortable generating solutions to complex problems, communicating the specifics of your solutions to other engineers, and able to support your ideas with both written documentation/specification and verbal discussion. While your role is concerned with software engineering, you should also be well-versed in infrastructure and able to make architectural decisions that span multiple services and have wide-ranging impact to our products and future endeavors. You will be expected to provide significant mentorship to other members of our team and spend a significant amount of your time investing in the growth of your teammates.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Make architectural decisions spanning multiple products and services
- Set implementation plans that balance engineering resources, overall technical vision and company priorities
- Create strategies that set the engineering team up for future success
- Set the standard in code quality, testing, style and documentation
- Communicate requirements/objectives with technical and non-technical stakeholders alike
- Provide mentorship to other engineers (especially mid and senior-level engineers)
Education, Skills and Experience
- 10+ years professional software engineering experience
- 5+ years experience with relational databases
- 5+ years functional programming experience
- 3+ years Clojure experience
- Thorough experience with full stack web development
- Experience with cloud architectures, ideally AWS