Real Estate Attorney
San Francisco, California • Operations • Full-time • salaryApply for this job
We're a young company that's growing fast and needs people who can keep up. Above all else, we value: purpose, perseverance, integrity, trust, community and humility.
Starcity is a lifestyle brand which provides beautifully designed co-living communities in major cities, and we're on track to welcome thousands (and one day millions) of customers to our communities over the coming years. We have awesome backers including Y Combinator, Bullpen Capital, NEA, Social Capital, Index Ventures and have been featured in notable publications like The New York Times, Business Insider, San Francisco Chronicle, Silicon Valley Magazine, TechCrunch and many more.
As one of the many stewards of the company focused on risk mitigation, you’ll initially report to the COO. You will work closely with both the Operations and Growth team to support negotiating, drafting, and closing transactions on behalf of the company. Your goal is to ensure the Growth team’s hunger for new deals is not limited by our bandwidth to process transactions efficiently and timely.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Gather intel from the Growth team regarding prospective acquisition sites and walk-away points
- Advise the Growth team of legal pitfalls in proposed deal structures and propose creative structuring alternatives when necessaryRespond to diligence requests from lenders, limited partners, and owners
- Review titles and surveys for outstanding issues to be resolved prior to closing
- Draft, review, and turn documents associated with completing the transaction, including: term sheets, sale and purchase agreements, operating agreements, property management agreements, loan and security agreements
- Coordinate with outside counsel on specialized matters when necessary
- Develop professional and trusting relationships internally and externally to secure the most advantageous deal terms and conditions
Education, Skills and Experience:
- Licensed member of the State Bar of California
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in real estate law, real estate transaction management, or real estate acquisitions
- Extensive background in and strong understanding of multi-family real estate transactions, including acquisitions and refinances
- Superior knowledge of corporate structures and filing requirements related to real estate transactions
- Strong understanding of deal economics
- Highly communicative, collaborative, and patient
- Reliable, focused, with demonstrated ability to consistently meet goals and tight deadlines
- Strong time management skills and experience managing numerous deals simultaneously
- Desire to try things you’ve never done before and learn from mistakes
- Licensed attorney with New York State Bar Association
The position is a full-time, salaried role with medical, dental, vision and retirement benefits. You will be working under a CA licensed broker (BRE # pending) and may accrue hours toward obtaining BRE licenses. The position is based at our HQ in San Francisco but you may be expected to travel to different project sites within California from time to time. Starcity is an equal opportunity housing provider and employer, and acts in these capacities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.Apply for this job