Senior Frontend Software Engineer
San Francisco, California • Technology • Full-time • salaryApply for this job
Starcity is looking for a senior frontend software engineer. We're a young company that's growing fast and needs people who can keep up. Above all else, we value integrity, perseverance and humility in our team members.
Starcity is a lifestyle brand which provides beautifully designed co-living communities in major cities, and we're on track to welcome thousands (and one day millions) of customers to our communities over the coming years. We have awesome backers including Y Combinator, Bullpen Capital, NEA, Social Capital, Index Ventures and have been featured in notable publications like The New York Times, Business Insider, San Francisco Chronicle, Silicon Valley Magazine, TechCrunch and many more.
Our mission is to make great cities accessible to everyone. We do that by creating community homes—a unique new affordable way to live in cities. We’re a tech-enabled company that places a high value on experimentation and excellent craftsmanship.
As a senior frontend engineer you will lead a team that builds and maintains several web applications, making architectural decisions that lead to performant, responsive, and well-tested user interfaces. As a senior member of the team you will be expected to exhibit excellent communication skills—your role extends beyond engineering to mentorship of more junior engineers and coordination with product management and design teams. This role will be dynamic and challenging, and you will be given a large amount of responsibility.
Our technology stack is ClojureScript on the frontend (re-frame) and Clojure on the backend. We use GraphQL (implemented with lacinia) for our API and Datomic as our database. We’re hosted on AWS.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Exhibit strong attention to detail; able to think several steps beyond the initial requirements
- Communicate effectively with designers and product managers
- Ensure technical feasibility of new features and manage expectations of users and stakeholders
- Architect interfaces that scale as features accumulate and requirements change
- Understand when and where to optimize code
- Ensure our applications are accessible across a wide range of device formats
- Build libraries out of common patterns
Education, Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of software development experience, with at least three years in frontend web development
- 2+ years of experience with ClojureScript or similar functional language
- Experience with CSS pre-processing tools like LESS and SASS
- Experience with GraphQL and REST APIs
- Bachelor’s degree not a must
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- Design chops; experience with the Adobe suite (or other similar tools)
- Experience with re-frame or Om ClojureScript frameworks
- Maintains or contributes to notable OSS repositories
The position is a full-time, salaried role with medical, dental, vision and retirement benefits.
The position is based at our HQ in San Francisco but you may be expected to travel to different project sites in the greater San Francisco Bay Area.
Starcity is an equal opportunity housing provider and employer, and acts in these capacities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability.Apply for this job